Painting the cabinets in your Calgary home is a good way to improve the appearance and value of your property. Painting is a relatively simple DIY technique that is quick and easy to master. But just because it is easy, it doesn’t mean that you should ignore all safety precautions.
Before you start your cabinet makeover, it is important to have the correct safety equipment for the job. You will need safety goggles, a respirator, dust mask, gloves, fabric drop cloths and a good sturdy ladder.
Good ventilation is essential when working with paint
When you start painting, make sure the area is well ventilated. It is best to remove cabinet doors and draws and paint them outside if you can. When you work indoors, open all the doors and windows and if possible, use fans to blow the fumes out of the room. If the area is not well ventilated, you need to wear a respirator and only work for short periods of time. It is important to also wear safety goggles, gloves and a respirator if you are working with harsh chemicals such as strippers, thinners and cleaners. Do not allow children, older people or pets into the room while you are painting.
Other important safety considerations
- If you are sanding your cabinets, always wear a dust mask and safety goggles.
- Protect your floors with fabric drop cloths and do not be tempted to use plastic because it is slippery, especially if you mess paint.
- Do not paint near any heat source or open flame as paint is flammable.
- Always enure that your ladder is strong and sturdy. Before you use the ladder, make sure that it is standing securely, and the legs are on an even surface. Never stand on the top of the ladder or on the utility shelf.
- Clean up carefully at the end of the day and store all your paint, chemicals and tools out of reach of children.
By acting responsibly, applying common sense and following the appropriate safety guidelines, you can ensure that your cabinet painting project in your Calgary home happens without a hitch.
At New Look Cabinets in Calgary, Alberta, our top priority is to ensure the total satisfaction of our customers. That’s why we always conduct a preliminary walk-through and inspection of our clients’ kitchens to assess the type of work that needs to be done. Contact us today to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our kitchen cabinet refinishing experts today!